Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Yoga: 19th of March '14

Today is my first yoga class. I realized that the movements done are repeated every week. The people in my class are already familiar with the movements while I have not so I felt quite left out. I was kind of lost because the movements go in a sequence and they go quickly too. Before today's class, I thought that yoga is an easy sport activity. After joining today's class, I understand that yoga is not that easy. I sweated a lot and I was unable to do certain movements. I think today's class was quite hard for me because I am not flexible. However, not only that, I think I find today's class a bit heavy also because I did not do any sports activity lately.

In the beginning of yoga class, we did a meditation. The purpose of this is to relax our muscles and free our minds of any stress. I found this activity hilarious. The instructor spoke in a rhythm as if she was singing so I laughed and ruined the day's meditation. Thinking back about it, I am questioned by ethical issues. Is this meditation the one which purpose is to unite the body, mind and soul? Is it considered right in my religion's perspective? I thought about it for awhile and realized that the purpose of this meditation is not to unite the body, mind and soul but solely to relax our muscles and minds. What relaxing our minds means is also different from uniting the body, mind and soul. It just means that we need to forget our burdens so that we can focus during the yoga activity, since focus is really needed to do certain movements in the yoga activity (e.g. when we need to balance ourselves with one leg).

In overall, I find today's class interesting and am looking forward for the next class.

No comments:

Post a Comment