Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Yoga: Action Proposal


Please comment on how this activity will help you to achieve the Learning Outcomes as IB CAS requirement?

            Yoga lessons are not so physically demanding and I need sport activities like that. Through this activity, I am not only hoping to maintain my physical health but also am hoping to be more flexible. When I was young I was able to do a split and now I can’t barely touch my toes. Although I might not be able to achieve what I have achieved during my childhood, I am hoping to at least be more flexible than I am right now.

Learning Outcomes:
  • Increase my awareness of my strengths and areas for growth
Yoga is something new for me, so I will be able to develop new skills by taking this activity. I will widen my range of skills, and this way, I will be able to increase my awareness of my strengths and areas for growth.

  • Undertaken new challenges
I have never done yoga before, so this activity is surely a new challenge for me. I will have to familiarize myself with the new types of movements in sport.

  • Shown perseverance and commitment in their activities
Throughout the activity I will encounter many challenges. Since I am so not flexible right now, I know for sure that in the beginning I will have some difficulties keeping up with what the instructor tells me to do. This will require me to persevere and be committed in yoga. Since yoga builds and requires flexibility, skipping a lot of yoga class will make me inflexible again. Yoga is a demanding activity in terms of commitment. Thus, taking yoga as my CAS activity will force me to show perseverance and commitment.

  • Work collaboratively with others
Undertaking this activity means that I will have to listen to the yoga instructor carefully. I will have to do all the movements that the instructor wants me to do and since the movements might be very specific, listening is a very important skill in this yoga activity. Listening is a part of the skills needed to be able to work collaboratively since working collaboratively does not only require talking but also listening. Thus, taking yoga as my CAS activity will allow me to practice my listening part of skills that are needed to work collaboratively with others.  

  • Considered the ethical implications of their actions
Yoga is a controversial sport. Some people believe that yoga is a process in which we are trying to unite our body, soul and spirit to reach enlightenment. By taking this activity, I will be able to prove that not all types of yoga are like that. Some types of yoga are really sport activities that are similar to gymnastics.

  • Develop new skills
I have never done yoga before so taking this activity will for sure develop in me new skills. I may have done ballet and tried gymnastics before but never yoga. So I am curious to know what different skills yoga is going to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment