Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Batik: 23th of Oct. '13

  • What I did today:
    • Continue applying wax on the tablecloth using canting and stamp
  • How I felt:
    • Stressed out because the activity done today requires extreme detail and precision. I had to be really careful not to drop any wax on the undesired spot
    • At some moments I felt quite relieved that I was allowed to use the Batik stamps for the outer parts of the cloth because stamping the Batik is so much easier than applying wax on the cloth using canting. (And just fyi, this is the reason why Batik Cap, Batik that is made using stamps, is less expensive than Batik Tulis, Batik that is made using canting.)
    • Very proud at the end because I was able to finish applying wax on the cloth today, on time according to the schedule
  • What I think about the activity:
    •  Interesting because the methods on how to make Batik are varied and also every time I continue making my Batik artwork, I will always encounter a different experience (in today's case, it is the opportunity to apply wax using a stamp)
  • What I perceived:
    • Batik is complex 
    • Batik artists must have interesting and unique lives
  • What the activity means to me & what is the value of the activity:
    • Today's activity means another opportunity for me to experience what it feels like to be a part of Indonesia's history and also another opportunity for me to experience how to make one of Indonesia's culture, which is Batik
    • Through today's activity, I learned and understood why Batik artists, who use canting to apply wax on the cloths, should be more respected
  • What I learned from the activity and how this learning (for example, a change of perspective) might apply more widely. 
    • The beauty of art does not lie on its final result. The beauty of art lies on its process.

No comments:

Post a Comment