Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Batik: 18th of Sept. '13






















The pictures above are some of the papers I got from today's meeting.

What I did today:
- Learned about the theories of Batik Art

What I felt and feel about the activity:

The first lesson I went through was very interesting. It made me want to know more about Batik. I learned many new information. 

What I learned and how this learning affects me:
I learned that Batik Art is defined as an art form that uses canting and malam to create it. Canting is the tool that Batik artists use to scoop the malam (special wax) from the stove and transfer it to the cloth. The front part of the canting where the malam is stored is made out of copper because it is cheap, thin, a good heat conductor to keep the malam as liquid longer and copper can also withstand high temperature that the malam will be in. Malam itself is made out of mata kucing, paraffin, resina colophonium and oil. All the components used are natural, nothing is artificial, even the cloth, which has to be made out of 100% cotton to be classified as authentic Batik. Knowing about these new facts made me realize how special Batik is. I develop a sense of pride and respect towards Indonesia's culture now that I understand why Batik is unique. Batik holds Indonesia's historical, artistic, cultural, economic and educational values. Because of the big importance Batik Art holds in Indonesia, I as an Indonesian citizen believe that it is very important for me to learn about Batik and how to make it. Through this CAS activity, I will bring with me a culture of my own country. I will not just bring pride to my country but also be benefitted by enriching my knowledge about the uniqueness of an art form that is Batik Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment