Monday, September 30, 2013

Debate: 30th of Sept. '13

Today's debate club meeting was quite interesting because we had another debate competition however this time we had no time to prepare for it. We didn't even know that we will have a debate competition today. The motion was “This house would arm teachers.” It was Kak Karin and Kak Zara against the whole debate club members. Kak Karin started the debate by defining "armed" as having weapons while defining "teachers" as certified adults who are teaching at a school. She justified her proposal with the United State's second amendment which protects the right for individuals to keep and bear arms. The way Kak Karin spoke was really organized and clear. She was really confident and so she intimidated the opponents, which is a good thing. After that she chose Na Young to speak for the opposition team. Na Young delivered her rebuttals and arguments in a quite organized manner, even though at some points I didn't really understand what she was saying but I guess that was because of her accent. From Na Young's speech I learned that projecting your voice clearly really affects how people including the adjudicator understand what you're saying. When the adjudicator doesn't understand what you're saying, what you say doesn't matter because the adjudicator will not be able to grade the content of your speech anyway. After Na Young spoke, Kak Zarra delivered her rebuttals and arguments. What I learned from Kak Zarra's speech was that she sign posted, which was why people or at least I could follow what she was saying easily. Her rebuttals and arguments were clear. She responded to what Na Young said and reinforced what her team's first speaker, Kak Karin said. In overall, I think today's debate club meeting was really beneficial because after trying to learn from experience, I think it is good to try to learn by watching because sometimes people do learn better when they watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment