Monday, September 16, 2013

Debate: 16th of Sept. '13

In today's activity, I did a debate under the motion “THBT capital punishment is justifiable to the degree of crime committed." My team was Sherni and Anna. Sherni was the first speaker, I was the second and reply speaker, and Anna was the third speaker. Today was my first debate in years. I think I did pretty well for my first debate in years. I had a lot of good points. My rebuttals and arguments were quite strong. However, I wasn't aggressive enough. What I really have to improve is the way I convey my thoughts. I often jump around an idea and this hindered the adjudicators who were Miss Debbie, Kak Karin and Kak Simran from understanding what I wanted to say. I was quite confused in answering the POIs (point of informations) appointed to me. There were a lot of them but the adjudicators said that those kinds of POIs aren't allowed. I myself was quite confused in asking POIs to my opposing team. The POIs intimidated me because I feel like I have to answer and come up with a new argument right after the opposing team asked me a POI. I also wonder if rejecting a POI will affect to my manner's score. In overall, I feel really excited but also nervous in debate because it challenges me to improve my speaking skills, which is something that I really need to improve. I look forward to my second debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment