Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Batik: Creativity Proposal


Please comment on how this activity will help you to achieve the Learning Outcomes as IB CAS requirement?
            I would like to take Batik lesson for my creativity activity because not only will it improve my art skills, but it will also help me understand my country’s culture better. I will understand the many different types of patterns, the right way to hold and use a canting, etc. I will no longer be an outsider of Batik Art but an insider, a person who make the Batik Art itself.

Learning outcomes:
  • Increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
    • Through this activity, I will be able to develop my art skills and knowledge, focusing on Batik Art. I will be able to learn and grow with new knowledge and art techniques, like knowledge on different provinces’ traditional patterns, and art techniques such as how to hold a canting and how to color the Batik with different colors.
  • Undertaken new challenges
    • Because I’ve only tried making Batik a few times before, in DT and art classes, taking Batik lesson will be a new challenge for me, especially that I know from previous trials that I can never be neat when using the canting to transfer the malam to the cloth. Thus, I will be challenged to improve.
  • Shown perseverance and commitment in their activities
    • Throughout the lesson, I will find new challenges (e.g. to learn and absorb something new quickly, be neater when using the canting, and more creative in developing and organizing different patterns). As I find more challenges in each meeting, my commitment to this activity will be tested. The harder it gets to improve, the tougher my commitment will be tested. 
  • Engaged in issues of global importance
    • Knowing that tradition and culture are getting more and more forgotten over time, I would like to prevent this flow of nature by taking Batik lesson. Not only that I will increase awareness about Indonesian culture to my friends, I will be a living embodiment of Indonesian culture.
  • Developed new skills
    • By learning deeper about Batik Art and how to create it, I will be able to understand how to use canting properly, how to hold the cloth when putting wax on it, how to communicate using Batik terminologies correctly, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment