Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Yoga: 21st of May '14

Today's was just like any other lesson before, just that today I was alone in class. All of my "classmates" could not join the lesson today, which has its own strength and weakness. I can go through the lesson pretty quickly because I am alone and do not have to wait for my "classmates" but I felt pretty lonely being the only one in class.

Today I did the usual routine: meditate, did the sun greeting, moon greeting, cat and many more poses. I realised that I have actually been doing many poses in the wrong way. When doing the tree pose, I should have raised my chin. When doing several other poses, I also should have closed my eyes but I did not.

I also realised that closing my eyes makes the pose hard to do. My yoga instructor said that it is because people tend to be worried about things when they close their eyes and so they tend to lose their focus easily when they close their eyes.

After several times going through this lesson, I learned that yoga actually helps me both physically and mentally. Yoga helps me to stretch the muscles I usually don't use. For example, I usually work and sit in front of a computer all day. I do not really move my shoulders, but thanks to yoga class I put to use my shoulder muscles and reduce the risk of getting my muscles stiff. Besides that, yoga also helps me forget about my worries at school for a while. During the meditation, my yoga instructor said to only focus on the air that I breathe in and out. This actually helps me to forget about my anxiety and burden for a while, which I think is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment