Saturday, November 16, 2013

Debate: 16th of Nov. '13

Today is the first day of this week's debate competition. Fortunately, the rules that disallow the speakers to have notes and step down before 7 minutes were taken back. This week's debate competition was held in President University. My team prepared printed documents and electronic devices since the competition this time allows us to use our electronic devices when case building. Today's debate competition was interesting because it was different than the one in BPK Penabur. The kinds of people we meet here are different and the way things are set up are also different. Today was interesting because not only we won two of the three rounds, we also made a lot of friends. We met the people we went against in the previous debate competition, in BPK Penabur, too! Debate competitions are very educational and fun. Today I learned that we should dig our arguments deeper. As far as the arguments may seem, if they can be related to the motion and explained well, they will make points or even bring extra points because of the depths it provides the debate with. I also learned that I often repeat what my team's first speaker, Valeska said, which is a loss for me because it is time consuming. At the end, I do not have enough time to further explain and strengthen what Valeska has said. I could actually just say, "as was clearly explained by my first speaker..." and carry on to develop her argument straight away. Thus, I should really improve this for tomorrow's debate rounds. I am so nervous for this week's debate competition because the opponents all seemed so tall, big and mature. Physical appearances do affect how intimidating we are to our opponents. Too bad none of my team members are tall and big.

No comments:

Post a Comment