- What I did today:
- Applied wax on the dyed tablecloth using canting (this process is also called as nembok)
- How I felt:
- Relieved because nembok, which is applying wax the second time after the cloth is dyed, is much easier than applying wax the first time on the cloth
- What I think about the activity, what I perceived, what the activity means to me & what is the value of the activity:
- I think the activity done today is fun and meaningful because it is easier than last meeting's activity and it is something new that I have never tried previously. This is the first meeting that I tried nembok, which is why, I think that today's meeting is important.
- What I learned from the activity and how this learning (for example, a change of perspective) might apply more widely.
- I found out that the previously applied wax are cracking. The supervisor told me that it is normal. The cracks are due to the storage condition and properties of wax. This is the reason why the process of Batik should be done as fast as possible.
- Today I learned about a process of waxing called nembok. It is used when more than one color of dye is applied to the cloth. By nembok, the colored part of the cloth will be covered with wax and be protected from being colored again with the next color of dye, allowing more than one color of dye be applied on the cloth. I realized that making Batik is actually the reversed of coloring, painting and all the other common art activities.
- Thus, these facts made me realized how smart Batik artists must be.
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Batik: 27th of Nov. '13
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment